Wednesday, April 3, 2019

Portrait Work


Recently I have done a few portrait sketches in the notebooks, and some of these have been self portraits, trying to work from life in order to hone the ability to get a likeness.  They weren't meant to be great paintings, and in fact I left them with plenty of defects and avoided the temptation to work them longer than the initial rushed hour.  I want to return to the subject with more careful approach soon, but for now, I am exploring different ways of finding the best way for me to get the proportions down quickly.





This one was done with ink pen and colored markers, and I found it interesting.  I may continue to work with this method on other subjects.


Above is the lay-in with raw umber, and below I continued to add a little color to flesh it out.


And finally, a small landscape sketch in order to prepare for the coming plein air outings that are just around the corner.






No comments: