Saturday, June 15, 2019

Field and Studio

Along the River 16x20 oil

With the warm weather I am making a serious attempt to spend some time outdoors with the easel, and though the work may not be making the headway I would like, the efforts are rewarding in their own way.  I've found, for example, that Greta, our German Shepard, makes a terrific painting companion; she is patient and calm and happy to be along and out of the house, and she never complains.

Crown Point, 8x10 oil

It may take an hour to drive to the Gorge, but every time I do, I regret not doing it more often.  It is such a magnificent natural wonder, filled with drama and scale and amazing light.  This quick sketch doesn't do justice to the scene, but it was dead-on noon, and the light was not the best, and I was in a hurry to get to Hood River to meet with friends.  I need to go back here with a larger canvas and more time.

And finally, a couple of portrait sketches from the sketchbook:





No comments: