Sunday, April 12, 2020

Finding Normal


Although I know my mind needs solace now, and that painting might provide that fresh breath of air so needed (sucking through an N-95 mask in the grocery store), for me, at least, I need to begin with a mind that has stilled itself, and mine is still racing and on high alert.  I am in information-seeking mode.  I am edgy, uncomfortable in this new normal.  But I did force myself to visit my studio yesterday and pound out a small painting, a mad slap and dash to try to capture the clarity of the light and color as I witness the convergence of spring sunshine and skies suddenly cleared of pollution.  I can't emphasize how sloppily paint was put to canvas, as if I had held my breath and must hurry before I pass out.  This is not the way to paint.  I need to find a way to ease into it, to feel that I have all the time in the world, like a long and lazy summer day without a worry in the world.  How long before that feeling will return?

1 comment:

nuuki said...

You judge yourself too harshly. The painting reveals great truth and beauty. You are the light you seek.