Monday, March 22, 2021

Quick Sketch with a Big Brush

 


Fanno Creek Tangle 8x8

Having been kept from painting for months now, I tried to force a quick session to see if my brushes had forgotten how to paint.  I'm not sure what my verdict is, but I do know I need to make some time, if I can only coax my right brain into taking the reins again.  Too much business is bad for art, I guess.

Regarding another painting, South Yamhill by my painter friend, David Richardson:  This warm and moving painting has hung over my hearth in every home I have lived in for the past thirty years.  I have considered it the soul of my home, really, central to the feeling of comfort and security.  Just around Thanksgiving of 2019 another dear friend, Maggie, asked if she could borrow it for her dining room for a while, and reluctantly, I agreed.  I was concerned about what might happen to my sense of peace and safety if such a central piece was removed.  I certainly did not expect what followed: pandemic, wildfires, insurrection, ice storms...  At long last I insisted I needed to get it back where it belonged, and a couple of weeks ago it was returned to its home.  Let's hope this might help get the world back in order.


South Yamhill 4'x5' by David Richardson



No comments: